Saturday, May 2, 2009

Mac vs. PC

Hi, I'm a mac....and I'm a PC.

We've all seen the ads. They're clever, simple, and if your computer savvy you also know.... they're pretty accurate!

Lately I've been cruising through blogosphere and come to realize there's a similar brand war/loyalty happening with the pumps...

Hi, I'm an animas....and I'm a minimed!

The lines have been drawn, and anyone who crosses party lines is heralded as either a traitor or hero (depending on which side your on!) Sounds a bit like politics, huh?

Here's my take on it:
I did a tremendous amount of research on all the pump brands before making my decision. I've outlined my criteria and relevant factors in a previous post, but in a nutshell I'd say the medtronic paradigm's are like PC's.

It seems like everyone started on one, they learned how to use it, master it, and although it may not have been the most intriguing piece of technological intuitiveness, it gets the job done. It's not the 'coolest,' and for heaven's sake it doesn't even work with a mac (the software to download your pump info). So the approach is a bit archaic. But the popularity is undeniable. And the occasional crash (just like windows) keeps you on your toes...

So if the paradigm is the PC, the Animas Ping is definitely a Mac. And not just any mac, we're talking a MacBook Pro with souped-up memory and all. The color screen - ahhh, bliss. The functions and features galore, oh so appealing (but not always the most used). And of course it works with a mac (or a pc), just like a real mac.

And the parallels continue with the brand loyalty. As previously mentioned, the loyal users are fiercely loyal. Once you've committed to your 'brand,' the other seems inferior. But some people have taken it a bit far.

Recent quotes, "The paradigm is totally unreliable. I hated everything about it...."

Then, "The paradigm is incredible! I've never had a problem, and the 24-hour customer care is unbeatable!"

Or, "The Animas Ping is a lot of bark, no bite. Nice features, but overrated."

But then, "The Ping is king of all pumps!"

One camp proclaims 'their' pump is superior while the competitors is junk that shouldn't even be dispensed in a cracker jack box.

To me, both of the pumps are simply incredible! To think we can monitor our levels with so much precision and accuracy - despite your brand - is astounding to me! I admit I feel a sense of pride wearing my pump, but it's only because of my long, arduous journey to control.

Let's not get too carried away with slamming the other manufacturers, after all they are both helping millions of diabetics around the world! Hey, a PC (paradigm) and a MAC (animas) are both far better than a Commodore-64 (injections!), right?

So what am I? A MAC guy, through and through....

but I wear a Paradigm.


Go figure.


Keep pumpin'....

1 comment:

beckybj said...

Now that's funny! And your blog is called iPump...funny.