Thursday, June 11, 2009

Stinking complaining never did anyone any bloody good

Diabetes is not the end of the world.

It's not impossible to manage, nor is it the great hindrance to a charmed life.

It can be a challenge, yes. It can be an inconvenience, yes. It can even be difficult. But it doesn't need to be any more than that. We can (and I certainly have in my lifetime) given it much more credit (or blame) than it deserved. It's been a crutch at times, but it has also been a motivator as well.

I don't think I need to be heralded or congratulated for having diabetes. My plight is not necessarily worse (or better) than any others.

Growing up, I had a brother that was so severely handicapped that he could not talk, walk, sit up or communicate in any way. Developed only as a 2-month old and with a life expectancy of 2 years, he lived to be 36 years old having only passed away 8 years ago.

No one in my family complained about him. My parents literally sacrificed their lives to take care of him. And they said nothing negative, ever - not a peep.

Depression and other mental issues run strong in my family. OCD, bipolar, even schizophrenia. No complaints, no whining.

I took shots. Took, past tense; as now thankfully I woke up and tried the pump! So I deal with diabetes. Big deal.

I'm divorced, I'm diabetic, and I have a son with Down syndrome. And......????

I'm blessed.

Our readings may go hay-wire once in awhile. We may not always feel awesome. Waking up in the middle of the night is scary. Complications and the threat therein can be daunting. Counting carbs can be tiring.

But complaining about any of it will never help. Ever.

I'm blessed. And if you're able to read this, listen to it, or in any other way receive this message - so are you.


Keep pumpin'....

6 comments:

Karen said...

Bravo!!!! I admit, I sometimes can be guilty of complaining. But then I remember how many other, much worse things, people have to deal with. And I know I am lucky.

James said...

Karen, I am reminding myself as much as anything to keep looking up.

There's just so much negativity associated with Diabetes, I get tired of the martyr mentality.

beckybj said...

I've said before and I'll say it again...I love your honesty and positivity. You're awesome!

Pastor Jerry said...

Sounds like a sermon in the making, my friend. Let's talk.

Amber-Bams said...

Its easy for me to get caught up in the mess of this disease, but your post really sheds light on the reality of life and anything complicated - diabetes, relationships, or beng a parent, so on.

Thanks for keeping things in perspective!

Keely said...

Okay, so I'm the sister that complains a little..LOL

Great message. Love ya Bro!